Monday, January 30, 2017

BOX WINE FOR OUR CAMPING TRIP (THE HORROR, THE HORROR)

Box Wine for our Camping Trip (The Horror, the horror)

The Austin Area Paddlers Meetup group made its annual freeze trip, and overnight kayak camping trip from Bastrop to Boy Scout Island, on January 28 – 29.  The last time Donna and I did an overnight kayak camping trip I brought good wine that I had poured into a pouch. Unfortunately I did not bring enough and, in addition, the wine got very cold.

So this time I thought I would try some boxed wine. The two wines were the 500 ML versions of Bota Box 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon and Liberty Creek Cabernet Sauvignon.  Both wines are made in in Lathrop, California which is in the Central Valley.  Very few areas of the Central Valley are considered areas where good grapes are grown and, in fact, the large wine makers use grapes from that area to make big bottles of wine and box wine.

The primary reason for the grape quality is the extreme weather. Heat and cold extremes can be damaging to grapevines and impact fruit and winemaking decisions. Extreme heat (temperatures greater than 95°F) in either the growing season or the ripening period negatively impacts wine grape production by “shutting down the vines,” through inhibition of photosynthesis and reduction of color development and anthocyanin production. While a few days of temperatures greater than 86°F can be beneficial in the ripening potential, prolonged periods can induce heat stress in the plant. 

Annual weather variation is the reason that so much attention is paid to vintage. The vintage of a wine is the year the grapes were harvested, and knowledge of the weather conditions in a region in a given year will reveal much about the potential quality of the wine made in that region that year.
The graph below, which represents the Central Valley city of Modesto, California, shows that there are three months where the high temperature is (consistently) greater than ninety degrees. Despite the rainfall information shown in the graph below the area is also prone to summer flooding, something grapes do not like.

Compare the Modesto weather to that of Sonoma, California, an area known for good wine grapes. Note that there in only one short period where the temperature approaches ninety degrees, so the extremes found in the Central Valley and, therefore, Lathrop, don’t exist so a good harvest is much more likely.

Interestingly it does not seem that either wine maker has its own vineyards, so it is likely they just buy grapes from companies who grow grapes to sell to wine makers. Consistency would be a big problem if that is the case.
The following are my reviews of the two Central Valley box wines I tried.

Liberty Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

The first box I tried was the Liberty Creek Cabernet Sauvignon. It was a pale red, not a deep red like a Cabernet should be. Its aroma was slightly vinegary, so I had very low expectation. But it did not taste bad. It went down smoothly with no acid overtones or astringency.  As the color indicated it was thin, like it had been watered down, and it lacked “oomph.” It was kind of like “Cabernet Light.”
All in all it was a pretty good wine for a camping trip. I would never buy it for anything else, but its small package and  its okay taste make it a good choice for camping.

Bota Box 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon
The second box I tried was the Bota Box 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon. The company description reads like this: “Bright medium brown brick red color. Bright, fruity, spicy woody savory aromas of black currants, cranberries, blonde tobacco, and potters clay with a chewy, tart, dry full body and a peppery, complex, breezy finish with firm, well-integrated tannins and moderate oak.” There’s those blackcurrants again!
First I tried to see the color. It was not a deep read like a Cabernet should be—in fact I could see through my glass (actually a plastic cup). Regarding the aroma I’d say “potters clay” hit it on the head. I did not say “earthy” by the way. It had sort of a wet dirt odor. So, what about the taste?
It was not very good. I guess the best word I can find to describe the wine is “harsh.” Would I buy it again for a camping trip? No.

WARNING

When you are camping it is easy to overlook the taste of bulk wine and to overindulge. Take my word for that.

Freeze Trip

To read about the box wine I brought on the trip, go to my other blog here:

Austin Area Paddlers Meetup

For more information on the Meetup group, go here: https://www.meetup.com/AustinAreaPaddlers/


No comments:

Post a Comment