Saturday, January 14, 2017

Introducing the Texas Wine Snob



How I Became a Wine Snob

I am a self-confessed wine snob. What does that mean? There are probably a hundred different definitions that I like but this is the one that is most applicable to me: a snob a person who believes himself or herself to have superior tastes and is condescending toward those with different tastes. That definition certainly applied to me when it came to wine.

A few weeks ago, though, I heard a “Freakonomics” broadcast that asked this question: Do More Expensive Wines Taste Better? The answer, in short, is—not necessarily. The broadcast talked about a test that had been run in which some “wine snobs” were given expensive wines to taste and cheap wines to taste, although they were told that they were all expensive wines. The wine snobs were unable to tell the difference between the expensive wines and the cheap wines. Many similar tests have shown that the label on a wine as well as the cost of a wine can create a preconceived notion of how a wine will taste.

Uh oh. Was I the kind of person who thought he could tell the difference between expensive wine and cheap wine? I decided to try my own test at home to find out. By the way, since I have stopped working my concept of “relatively expensive” has changed, so I limited my budget to $25 or less.  Anyway, I asked my wife Donna to pour one glass of $25 wine, one glass of $12 wine, and one glass of (ugh) a $4 wine. I then asked her to pour one more glass of one of those wines so there were four glasses to taste. After that I tried to determine, in order, which wine was the best, second best and worst. I got it right but it took three tries! The truth was that I had a hard time telling the difference between the $25 wine and the $12 wine, but I was able to detect the $4 wine. I hate to admit it but the $4 wine was not awful. I would not buy it again, but it wasn’t something I would pour down the drain.

I do know a little bit about wine because I had the opportunity to work with wine makers. When I had my own consulting practice some of my clients were large wineries. My role was to develop simulations that would assist the wineries on their wine-making schedule based on the predicted grape harvest, the storage of wines based on the type of wine, the blending of wines, the movement of wine throughout a facility, the shipping schedule of wines and many other factors. In order to develop the simulations I had to learn the wine-making process in minute detail.

Wine-making can be either simple or complex. There are actually companies who make very cheap wine using the following process: add water, sugar and yeast to grape concentrate. Repeat a couple of times and, when the wine is ready, bottle it. This process is typical for carbonated wines that are sold around the holidays.

Then there are processes that increase in complexity and, therefore, cost, based on the value of the wine. A general rule of thumb in wine-making is—the gentler you treat the wine, the better it will be. The right equipment will assist in the handling of the wine, but equipment that treats the wine gently is more expensive, thus affecting the cost of the wine. Some wine-makers, especially the French, don’t use much mechanical equipment at all and instead rely on a gravity-fed process.

Below is a snapshot from the simulation I developed for a red wine process. Each of the boxes shown in the snapshot can contain thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of computer instructions. The boxes are there to help the client understand what the simulation is doing.



Note the reference to “Free Run.” "Free Run” is the terminology used to describe the juice that flows freely from freshly picked grapes before they are pressed. When truckloads of grapes are stacked up on top of each other some juice is released due to the weight of the load. “Free Run” juice is considered to be exceptionally fine and requires a process of its own, despite the fact that it makes up only a small percentage of the juice that is processed. The fact that the client made use of the free run juice is an indication of the quality of wine that was being made. The process is so complex that a simulation of one harvest year could require an entire day to run.

One of the most important lessons I learned about wine-making from my consulting, however, was the following: 

  • You can make good wine from good grapes, 
  • You can make bad wine from good grapes, 
  • You can make bad wine from good grapes, 
  • But you cannot make good wine from bad grapes


This is sort of an industry joke. Just line wine-tasters, wine-makers can be snobs. A maker of a fine wine may look at the appellation (origin of the grapes) of a competitor’s wine and scoff—you cannot make good wine from those grapes.  When it came to Texas wines my clients were like—Oh my Gawd! In their opinion there was no way any wine made from Texas grapes could be any good at all. This is how I developed my opinion of Texas wines.

By working with my clients I also learned a lot about tasting wine, mainly because one of my clients insisted that we have wine with lunch every day so we could discuss what we were drinking. Lunch was kind of “wine tasting 101” for us. This client also had a Starbucks on the premises and provided Mary See’s candy after lunch. I think they were trying to overcome the effects of the wine with caffeine and sugar. It was a great contract.

Because I was often on site in California a lot during a two-year period, I wound up drinking, and appreciating, a lot of good wine, and not just at lunch. Hey—I was on an expense account. I also learned a lot about the wine business, especially how some bottlers try to trick consumers.

At one time wine bottlers would purchase grapes from places like the Central Valley in California, an area that produces mostly “bad” grapes. They would then ship the grapes to Sonoma, for example, and label the wine as a Sonoma wine because it was created and bottled there. In 2000 California passed a stringent law that stated, among other things: A wine may be labeled by a grape or varietal name such as Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon, but it must derive at least 75% of the volume from the grape designated, and at least 75% of the grapes must come from the named state or county, such as “Sonoma.”

Therefore, a wine that is labeled Sonoma Cabernet must be 75% Cabernet, and 75% of the total wine in the bottle had to come from grapes grown in Sonoma.

The picture below is a good example of a well-labeled bottle of wine.



Because of my knowledge of the California and Federal wine labeling laws I was under the impression that every bottle of California wine had to list the blend of wines it contained. Apparently that is not the case.

My wife and I were at HEB a couple of days ago where I saw a number of relatively expensive wines simply labeled “Red Wine.” When I examined the wines I was unable to find out what they consisted of or where the grapes came from. I went on line to research one of the wines, a wine that cost almost $70 a bottle and still could not find what the grapes where. I actually had to download a PDF file to get this description of the 2011 wine: Varietal Composition: 81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc--Appellation: Paso Robles. This is actually suspicious because, given the percentage of Cabernet, the wine could have been labeled as such. It is quite possible that the vintage of the wine described in the PDF is not the same as the wine being sold.

Paso Robles is part of the Central Coast, an area considered to a producer of “good grapes.” Despite that I could not see putting down $70 for a wine that has little or no information on the label.  The California labeling laws are strict, but apparently not strict enough. In 2015 the entire California congressional delegation had urged federal regulators to “more aggressively enforce” the labeling rules that “ensure that consumers receive truthful and accurate information” about wine.

When you are gainfully employed you may want to take the risk of buying a $70 bottle of wine that you know nothing about. Now that I am retired, though, my days of spending $70 on a bottle of wine are long past. In fact, I don’t think I have ever spent $70 on a bottle of wine--$50, maybe, but not $70.  My current approach is to find wines that I like that are prices I can tolerate.

My opinion is that I don’t think you have to spend much more than $20 to get a very good bottle of wine and, in fact, you can find good wines for much less. Below are some of my favorite red wines, all of which can be purchased at HEB. Here are some wines I recommend: Rutherford Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, about $24,  St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon, about $18,  The Show Cabernet Sauvignon, about $12, and Michael David Winery 7 Deadly Zins, about $12 at HEB (gets a 97 score from some reviewers).

Other wines I like are: Jean Leon Gran Reserva, a Spanish Cabernet. (Unfortunately I cannot find it around here and, besides, I think it costs about $30. Gotta stick to my price guns!), Bodega Norton 2014 Barrel Select Cabernet Sauvignon, an Argentine wine, about $12, Concha Y Toro Marques Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon, a Chilean wine, about $20, Marques de Riscal Cabernet, Spanish, about $20. This used to be my favorite-don’t know why I have not bought it in a while. There is a $9 version that comes from newer vines. I will have to try it!

Back to Texas Wines

I posted a version of this a week or so ago and publicized it via NEXTDOOR.COM. I got some pushback from people who are involved in the Texas wine industry so I decided to do some research.  I discovered that the Texas wine business is booming because, among other factors, grapes require much less water than other crops such as cotton.

If you research where Texas ranks as a wine producer you may find that it ranks behind states like New Jersey and Florida. What? You have to be careful when looking at statistics. It turns out that Florida, for example, makes wine out of many different tropical fruits, such as mango. New Jersey wineries (and wineries in other states) import juice/wine from California and finish it on site.

Texas actually ranks fourth in wine production if you exclude New York State (which I do because New York produces very sweet wines and Kosher wines). The big three are, of course, California, Washington State and Oregon.

In the ten years or so since I consulted to the industry a lot has changed. Texas is increasing its wine quantity and I have to believe that the wines have increased in quality as well. I have decided to bone up on my wine-tasting skills and then discover as much as I can about Texas wines. If you have any suggestions for me regarding Texas wines, please let me know.

In the meantime I will continue to blog about wine in general and provide information about the wine-making process, factors that affect the quality of wine, wine trivia and so on. If you read my blog you, too, may be able to self-declare as a wine snob based on the information I provide.

Technical Reading

 If you are interested in some technical reading, you can read an article I wrote for Wine Business Monthly at this web site: https://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticleSignIn&dataId=3563

You will have to join but it is free and you get very good information about the wine industry.

My Other Blog


I have another blog called "Gregs-INTO.com." The INTO stands for "I'm Not Too Old." It is geared towards getting "mature" folks invloved in sports they normally might not consider, such as white water kayaking. Here is the link: www.gregs-into.com






No comments:

Post a Comment